Nicolas Pepe made a shock move to Arsenal last summer (Picture: Getty)Arsenal forward Nicolas Pepe admits his decision to join the club was ‘surprising’ but says he can achieve his dreams with the Gunners.The Ivory Coast international made a club record £72m move to the Emirates from Lille last summer.The 24-year-old was heavily linked with a move to Bayern Munich and Juventus last summer but Arsenal stole a march on their rivals and completed the move quickly in August.Lille boss Christophe Galtier regularly linked Pepe with a move to the Allianz Arena and Pepe admits his decision caught some by surprise.ADVERTISEMENT Comment Nicolas Pepe reveals why he decided to join Arsenal despite lack of Champions League football Metro Sport ReporterMonday 30 Sep 2019 12:35 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link2kShares Pepe has scored once since his move to Arsenal (Picture: Getty)‘He (Christophe Galtier) imagined me at Bayern, in terms of what he said, for me it was a decision that might surprise people, because it is not a club that is in the Champions’ League,’ Pepe told Canal.AdvertisementAdvertisement‘But it is also a club with a lot of ambition, we are playing the Europa League which is still a European competition. We want to win it.‘The coach is used to this competition, he has already won it with Sevilla, last year they were in the final. The aim is to do better and therefore win this competition.’More: Arsenal FCArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira movesThomas Partey debut? Ian Wright picks his Arsenal starting XI vs Manchester CityArsene Wenger explains why Mikel Arteta is ‘lucky’ to be managing ArsenalPepe is expected to start in Arsenal’s clash against Manchester United on Monday night.The Gunners are without a league win at the Theatre of Dreams since 2006.MORE: Garth Crooks sends Gareth Southgate a warning over in-form Chelsea defender Fikayo Tomori Advertisement Advertisement
According to the website, the Italian Serie A side Torino confirmed the invitation of Obi who has been one of their top players this season by the coach of the Nigerian team.“Torino confirmed his invitation via a statement on their official website. So far the Nigerian has made 15 Serie A appearances with four goals to his name despite playing as a defensive midfielder,” the report said.The 26 year-old Obi is staging a return to the national team set up after a four-year absence. No thanks to injuries and fitness issues. He last represented Nigeria in a pre World Cup friendly game against Scotland on the 28th of May 2014.Ideye who recently moved to Spanish LaLiga side Malaga has also earned his recall to the team on the strength of his impressive showings for the struggling side since his move to the team in January.The former West Brom striker has played in all of the four games of the team since his arrival with a goal to his name despite the team struggling to remain in the top division in Spain.The match against Poland is scheduled for Wroclaw on Friday, 23rd March while the game with Serbia is for The Hive, London on Tuesday, 27th March 2018.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram WORLD CUP 2018 BUILDUPFemi Solaja with agency reportThe duo of Joel Obi and Brown Ideye may have gradually warmed themselves back into Super Eagles’ setup following the invitation coach Gernot Rohr extended to them ahead of the international friendlies the team will play next month in the build up to the World Cup finals in June.Although the technical crew is yet to release the team list of players invited for the build up matches against Poland and Serbia, Owngoalnigeria.com scooped on the official letter sent to Joel Obi’s Serie A side, Torino FC last week requesting for the release of the former Flying Eagles midfielder.