VANCOUVER – British Columbia’s police watchdog lacked clear procedures and training for investigators after an officer-involved shooting led to a man’s death, says a former RCMP superintendent who reviewed the agency’s operations.Doug Kiloh said in a report that the Independent Investigations Office did not have a disciplined structure in a case where a 48-year-old distraught man was shot in the parking lot of a casino in New Westminster on Nov. 8, 2012.Kiloh, who is also a former emergency response team member, said the agency learned the man could possibly be available for an interview after he was transferred from an intensive care unit but the office delayed speaking with him and failed to provide any rationale for that decision.Mehrdad Bayrami died 10 days after being shot, and his daughter later told a coroner’s inquest he was taking medication for severe depression.Kiloh said the man’s former partner, who he held hostage, was also not interviewed by the watchdog’s investigators, but was interviewed by police for about three hours.As well, investigators did not interview a crisis negotiator liaison at the scene with police, said Kiloh, who he called a potentially significant witness.“His notes, recollection and accuracy may have had the ability to independently confirm or refute comments, information, statements or orders provided by officers in the negotiation or command groups.”Kiloh also called into question investigators’ handling of exhibits, saying the organization did not have a management system or an investigative manual.“The lack of organizational direction appeared to lead to confusion among investigators with respect to managing exhibits and forensic material.”The Independent Investigations Office report to Crown counsel contained mistakes and summaries were not reflective of the available evidence, Kiloh said, adding the Crown made several requests for more information, including input from a use-of-force expert whose report appeared to indicate an officer’s actions were in accordance with his training.The officer with the Delta Police Department was charged with second-degree murder in October 2014.However, the Crown entered a stay of proceedings in July 2015 following an independent review.In March 2016, the Delta Police Association complained to the Independent Investigations Office about alleged defects in its investigation, resulting in it conducting a review before hiring Kiloh to report on its procedures.“At the onset of the investigation, it appears that the IIO focused on officers who witnessed critical moments,” he said in the report, which was redacted to remove identifying information. “However, a full interview plan, including witness officers and civilians, was not documented, prioritized or sequenced, and I cannot confirm that potential evidentiary points were clearly articulated to investigators.“I believe some opportunities were missed, which may have provided useful information or improved the overall investigative structure,” Kiloh said, adding investigators did not seize all available video from the casino and did not immediately analyze or document content they did obtain.The report says the office has made significant improvements since its investigation, but Kiloh made 10 recommendations including more supervisory training involving critical thinking and decision making.Ronald J. MacDonald, the office’s chief civilian director, said in a statement that changes include adopting a manual to guide investigators, along with rigorous training and a new approach in presenting cases to Crown counsel.— Follow @CamilleBains1 on Twitter.
Running back Trent Richardson, who was traded from the Cleveland Brown to Indianapolis Colts earlier this week, says he has no malice towards his former team for their decision. In a recent interview, Richardson focused on the excitement of being a Colts player.The 2012 No. 3 overall draft pick will now be on a team with all-star players such as Andrew Luck, Reggie Wayne and up-and-coming receiver, T.Y. Hilton, which is why Richardson may be so positive about the trade.“[The Colts] gave up a first-round pick. That shows a lot of respect they have for me,” said Richardson, who will wear No. 34 with the Colts. “Playing against these guys twice, just seeing how they are around each other when they’re on the sideline, how they’re jelling together, just being in the locker room for these couple hours, it’s been a big change. They’re happy to come to work, and they’re ready to go.”The Colts traded a first-round pick in the 2014 draft to get Richardson from Cleveland on Wednesday. Indianapolis Colts general manager Ryan Grigson said he first approached the Browns about Richardson earlier in the week.“He loves football,” Grigson said about Richardson. “He has the right body type for his style as a runner, and his style fits this offense.”Richardson has 1,055 yards, 3.5 yards per carry, on 298 carries through his first 17 career games—a total of 11 touchdowns with the Browns. He also caught 58 passes for 418 yards and another TD.
Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, TCI, September 9, 2016 – This weekend, we also remember the tragedy of 9-11, 15 years later and our own September 11th tragedy in the mysterious death of pastor, preacher, broadcast show host, husband, father, brother and so much more, but notably the author of the country’s National Song – This land of Ours – Rev. Dr. Conrad Howell. It was one year ago on September 11 that Howell went missing; a cadaver dog aided in the search where scores of residents turned out to find missing Howell. Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Related Items:remembering 9/11, remembering Rev. Conrad Howell Rev was found on Saturday September 12, his body was in bushes not too far away from his home in the Blue Mountain area. While Police ruled the death not a homicide, residents rejected the notion of a suicide.
Tags Share your voice Game Developers Conference Comment Game Developers Conference Now playing: Watch this: Apr 30 • Facebook’s new Oculus Rift S vs. Oculus Quest: Which VR headset is for you? reading • Oculus Quest may have its first killer app with Beat Saber Oculus What will it take for people to want to put Facebook’s upcoming portable VR headset, the Oculus Quest, on their face? A killer app would help. Beat Saber seems like a good start. Beat Saber is one of the smash hits of the virtual gaming world, relatively speaking. The musical fitness game is one of CNET’s favorite VR games for good reason: it’s addictive, active and wonderfully tuned. It’s even an arcade game. It’s also going to be a launch game for the Oculus Quest when it arrives later this spring, Facebook revealed on Monday.The Oculus Quest is a fully wireless, standalone VR system that allows full six degrees of freedom (6DoF) room motion. That’s a perfect pairing for the arm swinging of Beat Saber. My early experiences with the Quest were promising, and it seems to be aiming for a Nintendo Switch-like gaming focus at launch. As to how well it works on a mobile system? We’ll follow up when we can. Meanwhile, check out the trailer below. Oculus Quest is a full-motion, self-contained VR headset… 16 Photos Oculus Quest virtual reality headset revealed See All • Mar 21 • Google Stadia puts Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC gaming on notice 1 Apr 30 • How to preorder Oculus Quest and Rift S right now Video Games Wearable Tech 1:34 Mar 21 • Intel intros 9th-gen Core H mobile CPUs, Graphics Command Center Oculus Virtual Reality Facebook
Tom Cruise and Connor CruiseGetty imagesReportedly, Tom Cruise has banned his ex-wife from attending their 24- year old son’s wedding.Connor Cruise to set to marry his Italian girlfriend, Silvia in a Scientologist ceremony and the Hollywood actor is said to have demanded that the actress Nicole isn’t at the nuptials. The details of the demand have been revealed to RadarOnline by a source, who says, “Tom is behind this and what he wants is as good as law. Tom made the call and Connor followed.”The insider further revealed how Connor respects his father and out of that respect, he didn’t even question the 56- year old star’s wishes. Nicole and Tom married in 1990 and adopted both Connor and a girl, Isabella, now 26, together.However, when they split in 2001 Tom retained the custody of the children as reported then that they both were devout Scientologists and had decided to stay with their father. The insider further said, “First, Tom would never even consider inviting Nicole to Connor’s wedding because she’s considered a ‘suppressive person’ by the church — and, second, he doesn’t want her there.” Picture taken 07 November 1999 shows actors Tom Cruise (L) and his then Australian wife, Nicole Kidman arriving at the official opening of Fox Studios Australia in Sydney.TORSTEN BLACKWOOD/AFP/Getty ImagesNicole had blamed the religion for ruining her marriage as well as her relationship with her two children, previously missing Isabella’s wedding in 2015. Nicole also sparked controversy last January at the Golden Globe award ceremony when she thanked her two children with Keith Urban, after winning the Golden Globe for her performance in Big Little Lie – but seemingly snubbed by her two adopted children. Nicole Kidman arrives for the 90th Annual Academy Awards on March 4, 2018, in Hollywood, CaliforniaVALERIE MACON/AFP/Getty ImagesHowever, earlier in an interview with the Who magazine last year, Nicole clarified that she does not have a rift with Isabella and Connor. “I’m very private about all that. I have to protect all those relationships. They are able to make their own decisions. They have made choices to be Scientologists and as a mother, it’s my job to love them,” Nicole had told the publication.Meanwhile, Connor’s wife-to-be is said to have been dubbed the “Scientology Princess” and is a dedicated follower of the religion – as are her family. Sources claimed that Tom “adores” his future daughter-in-law, and is pleased that his son will be settling down with a Scientologist.
Uber, the San Francisco-based ride-sharing company which has been making deep inroads into the Indian taxi sector, has unveiled its future, an on-demand delivery service called UberRUSH.With the launch of UberRUSH, the company is forging ahead with its strategy to disrupt and re-engineer the transportation sector, first in the United States, and then across the globe. The idea is to dominate every segment of the transportation industry.UberRUSH was unveiled to operate in San Francisco, New York and Chicago. Since last summer, Uber has been experimenting with pilot programmes of the delivery programme, when it partnered with a handful of New York City-based businesses, including Rent The Runway, Birchbox and Baublebar, according to entrepreneur. com.UberRUSH will pick up and deliver everything from a meal to an item of clothing to a bouquet of flowers. Deliveries are made by foot, bike messenger and car, depending on the location and delivery, entrepreneur.com reports. The company is especially targeting small businesses and gives them hope that access to more customers is possible without having to own or manage their own delivery fleets.In a blog post announcing its new service, Uber said “If every local business delivered, we’d all save time and energy. But most simply can’t. Day-to-day operations are already complicated and delivery can cause all sorts of logistical headaches.”Uber will vary its pricing city by city. In New York, for instance, a delivery that travels less than 1 mile costs $5.50 and each additional mile is $2.50. In San Francisco, deliveries start at $6 within a mile and each additional mile costs $3, entrepreneur.com reported.Uber is celebrating its fifth anniversary with the launch of UberRUSH. entrepreneur.com notes that what started out as UberCab in San Francisco has grown into a beast in the transportation world. The company now operates in 300 cities in 58 countries, has more than 1 million drivers working on its platform and is valued at more than $40 billion, with some new estimates reportedly stretching as high north as $50 billion. Uber’s founder and CEO Travis Kalanick has become a billionaire five times over. He is currently worth $5.3 billion.
Gilgit BaltistanIANSEven as Pakistan’s Prime Minister Imran Khan expresses solidarity with the people of Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK) and Gilgit-Baltistan (GB), the reality on ground zero is contrary to Khan’s much-hyped claims on camera.At the behest of the Federal government in Islamabad, Chinese companies are reportedly plundering natural resources in the Gilgit-Baltistan region which includes precious metals like gold, platinum, cobalt and precious gemstones like Topaz and Aquamarine.The exploitation of natural resources at a large scale has resulted in widespread public protests recently across GB, an Indian territory, part of greater Kashmir region, forcibly occupied by Pakistan.Several leaders, including Shaukat Kashmiri and Mumtaz Khan, who voiced their concern over Pakistan’s decision to allot mining contracts to foreign companies, were either jailed or driven out of PoK.In a three-year research project on the strategic region of PoK conducted by India’s top think tank, Institute for Defence Studies and Analyses (IDSA), it has been revealed that enormous wealth plundered by foreign companies in GB did not accrue to the local populace.”Precious minerals, gems, metals and even uranium found in the Baltistan area were exploited. However, the revenues were not shared with the local government, igniting widespread protests in GB,” said Ashok Behuria, an expert on PoK associated with the project.Behuria said that whenever there was unrest in GB, Chinese authorities became nervous.”The reason is that in recent years, China has made a huge investment in mining projects in Baltistan. The GB region also provides key strategic connectivity to the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) project, making Beijing obsessed with this territory,” Behuria told IANS.Based on its in-depth research, the IDSA has recently published a book on PoK, authored jointly by its three senior analysts, Surinder Kumar Sharma, Yaqoob ul Hasan and Behuria.Having experience of more than three decades of research on the strategic GB region, Surinder Sharma said that on the one hand natural resources in Baltistan are being looted by the government, while on the other the entire region is being neglected by the government.”No wonder, GB is one of the poorest regions in Asia where around 85 per cent of people lives on subsistence agriculture,” Sharma told IANS.IDSA’s research says the Pakistan Mineral Development Corporation estimates that there are 1,480 gold mines in GB, out of which 123 contain a superior quality of gold, compared to the gold mines in South Africa. Despite having superior quality gold, the region did not benefit as companies which were issued mining licences operated like a mafia syndicate.The critical research, published in the form of a book, reveals that during the regime of General Pervez Musharraf, mining licences were issued to 20 multi-national companies. To oblige Beijing, the Pakistan government obliged several Chinese companies to exploit natural resources in GB. The local Gem Association had opposed the government’s move citing that the decision would deprive local residents of their resources.But for the Pakistani establishment, their all-weather friend China is more important.Such mining contracts were gifted to oblige China, said Sharma, adding: “Pakistan has double standards on PoK. On the face of it, it alleges that India should not have revoked special status of Jammu and Kashmir, while on the ground Pakistan blatantly plunders natural resources of the Gilgit-Baltistan region, abusing the basic rights of the local people.”
Credit: Stone Aerospace This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only. © 2012 Phys.Org The plan is for it to leave its power plant on the surface of the moon, with a high-powered laser travelling down miles of fibre-optic cable. “Our modest goal over the next three years is to use a 5,000-watt laser to send a cryobot through up to 250 meters of ice,” Stone said at the Atlanta assembly. If successful, Stone’s concept would resolve obstacles in the way of studying what may lie beneath Europa’s ice. A report in Wired says those obstacles include (1) solar power being unable to work below the surface (2) batteries not lasting long enough (3) too large a footprint of a device and (4) international treaty restrictions that would forbid testing of a nuclear robot.Stone has a 2013-2014 dress rehearsal planned. He intends to test a working cryobot at Alaska’s Matanuska Glacier in June next year, where it will attempt to cut through ten to fifty meters of ice. Afterward the cryobot will try to get through 200 meters in Greenland, in fall 2014.Last year, Stone announced that NASA awarded Stone Aerospace four-year, $4M funding to continue development of the Valkyrie project, to design and field-test an autonomous ice penetrating cryobot. Stone, who has a doctorate in structural engineering, is no stranger to such ambitious undertakings. Generally, Stone is known for his inventions designed to enable humans to explore remote environments. He formed Texas-based Stone Aerospace to commercialize his systems for exploration. He and a team of researchers from several universities built DepthX, a deep-diving robot that went down Mexico’s deepest watery sinkhole. He and his team also took on a mission to Antartica. He is often characterized, however, as looking toward his ultimate goal, a probe that can go through miles of ice on Europa and then explore through the sea. What intrigues scientists about Europa, one of Jupiter’s moons, is that under its icy surface its expanse of water might harbor life. Robot plumbs Wisconsin lake on way to Antarctica, jovian moon Explore further Citation: Inventor preps robot to cut through ice on Europa (2012, April 22) retrieved 18 August 2019 from https://phys.org/news/2012-04-inventor-preps-robot-ice-europa.html (Phys.org) — Robots are being developed all the time to do what we wish and to go where we can’t. This week, inventor Bill Stone told attendees at NASA’s Astrobiology Science Conference in Atlanta that he intends to get an autonomous robot ready to visit the icebound sea of Jupiter’s moon Europa, cut through the icy crust, and explore the waters below. He told the participants that his goal is to send his robot Valkyrie to Europa, where it will use lasers to cut through the ice to explore the waters below, collecting samples, in search of life. His company, Stone Aerospace, has been working on the six-foot by ten inch robotic cylinder called Valkyrie.