4 Jun

House unfit for human habitation claims Southill resident

first_imgAdvertisement Linkedin Print Facebook Previous articleTreacy and co in court for keeping horsesNext articleEuro-5 engines for new Golf Estate admin NewsLocal NewsHouse unfit for human habitation claims Southill residentBy admin – June 25, 2009 598 center_img Email Twitter A Southill resident, who wished not to be identified, says his home of 40 years is no longer fit for human habitation.The 62-year-old who has lived in O’Malley Park since the house was built in 1969, said, “I want to be rehoused somewhere decent”.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Over the years, he has watched the Corporation board up and demolish the houses that surround his own.He told the Limerick Post these derelict properties adjacent to his are now being used to dump rubbish.This has created what he described as a, “vermin infestation”.He also claims that he cannot open any windows because disease-carrying flies that have gathered at the rubbish outside will enter his home.He is now surrounded by these empty houses and has few close neighbours.His own home has now fallen into disrepair and he sees little point in maintaining it as the dwellings around him are covered with overgrowth and litter.As he does not own the house, he feels he is being neglected by Limerick City Council.“If it was my house, I would have been rehoused somewhere comfortable now, but because it’s not, they don’t want to know”.He says he has been trying desperately to be relocated along with his two sons, “I have been up and down to City Hall and I’m getting nowhere”.This frustration led him to stop paying his rent three months ago. He argues: “Nobody should have to live in the environment that I do”.The housing department at City Hall was not available for comment. WhatsApplast_img read more

2 May

Video of Ocean City’s North End Beach Replenishment

first_imgOCNJ Daily reader Steve Witkowski shared this video of the north end beach replenishment project. Ocean City Music Pier visitors watch work continue at Ninth Street Beach on Sunday (Dec. 13).He filmed earlier in December in the area around the Ocean City Music Pier.The video offers a good glimpse of how beach replenishment works.Ocean City received 1.6 millions of cubic yards of new sand at the south end and another 1 million at the north end. By comparison, it would take only about 1.37 million cubic yards to fill the entire Empire State Building with sand (according to the Empire State Building fact sheet).The Army Corps of Engineers announced Monday that a contractor will return to the south end to add another 323,000 cubic yards as a touch-up.last_img read more

21 Apr

Mill reshuffle

first_imgLondon flour miller GR Wright & Sons has appointed Julian Woodgate to its board.Woodgate has been technical sales manager with Wright’s for five years and will take over from Chris Wyle, who retires as technical director after 14 years. Wyle will continue working on a part-time basis.Woodgate’s responsibilities will continue to include quality control, new product development and value-added sales.MD David Wright said: “I am sure Julian will do a great job following in the footsteps of Chris and wish him every success.”last_img read more

31 Dec

Renewable energy provided 51% of Portugal’s electricity needs in 2019

first_img FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享The Portugal News:The production of electricity from renewable sources supplied 51 percent of national consumption in 2019, with wind power representing 27 percent, the highest share ever.Photovoltaic solar energy was, according to REN, the source that grew the most last year, having exceeded for the first time the value of a terawatt-hour (TWh) of annual production. The hydroelectric production index stood at 0.81 (below the average of 1) in 2019, with the last two months of the year improving dam production. In December, the production index reached 1.77. In turn, the wind production index registered 1.05 in 2019, and 1.13 in December.“The combination of these factors allowed a period of 131 consecutive hours, the longest ever, with renewable production exceeding consumption,” said REN.Thus, in December 2019, all renewable production supplied 76 percent of national consumption (including export balance) and non-renewable production the remaining 24 percent.The balance of trade with foreign countries relating to renewables was exporting (more was sold to Spain than was bought) and “was particularly high” in the last month of the year, equivalent to 19 percent of national consumption.More: Renewables supply 51% of electricity in 2019 Renewable energy provided 51% of Portugal’s electricity needs in 2019last_img read more

18 Oct

Arsenal ready to bid £25m to sign Celtic left-back Kieran Tierney

first_img Comment Kieran Tierney is on Arsenal’s radar (Getty Images)Arsenal are planning a £25 million bid to sign Celtic left-back Kieran Tierney, according to reports.The Gunners are in the market for a long-term replacement for Nacho Monreal, who has entered the final year of his contract.Reports last month claimed that Arsenal have activated a clause within Monreal’s contract to extend his deal until the end of next season.But Arsenal have been scouting potential replacements and Tierney has been on their radar for the last two seasons.ADVERTISEMENTAccording to The Sun, Arsenal are prepared to meet Celtic’s £25m valuation of the 21-year-old and are preparing a move ahead of the summer transfer window.AdvertisementAdvertisementReports elsewhere have also claimed that new Leicester City boss Brendan Rodgers, who left Celtic on Tuesday, is keen on signing Tierney in the summer. Arsenal ready to bid £25m to sign Celtic left-back Kieran Tierney Metro Sport ReporterWednesday 27 Feb 2019 10:53 amShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link Advertisement Brendan Rodgers is reportedly targeting Tierney for Leicester City (Getty Images)Meanwhile, Unai Emery has refused to confirmed whether Arsenal will take up their option to permanently sign Denis Suarez from Barcelona at the end of the season.The midfielder is yet to start for the Gunners since joining on loan.‘For me, it’s so far away,’ said Emery.More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man City‘The football, each match, each week, can change a lot. We are in every match, we are doing a test on everybody.‘My test like a coach is tomorrow and the players are the same.‘Our demands are very big demands. To work hard, to be with focus for each match to show us and show you, the players, the coaches, that we can improve and we can be better every day.‘For me the summer is so far away.’More: Arsenal FCArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira movesThomas Partey debut? Ian Wright picks his Arsenal starting XI vs Manchester CityArsene Wenger explains why Mikel Arteta is ‘lucky’ to be managing Arsenal Advertisementlast_img read more

28 Sep

Petrobras, Ensco iron out differences

first_imgOffshore driller Ensco has said it has resolved its issues with Petrobras and is now back on track to potentially secure more work with the Brazilian oil giant.Illustration only: An Ensco drillship/ Source: Wikimedia“Petrobras and Ensco announce today that they have agreed to a settlement of all claims relating to the ENSCO DS-5 drilling services agreement,” Ensco said.Petrobras in January 2016 cancelled a drilling contract with Ensco for the drillship DS-5 over corruption charges.The drillship had been hired by Petrobras from Pride International, a company that Ensco took over in 2011.In its cancellation notice in January 2016, Petrobras claimed there were irregularities with respect to the contracting of drillship DS-5 prior to Ensco’s acquisition in 2011.The alleged irregularities purportedly involved a former third-party marketing consultant of Pride to provide services in connection with the DS-5 drilling services contract.Ensco DS-5 / Data from Bassoe AnalyticsAt the time Ensco said there was no evidence that “Pride, the Company or any current or former employees were aware of or involved in any wrongdoing.”Petrobras had alleged that Pride had knowledge that the shipbuilder of DS-5 made improper payments to the former third-party marketing consultant who then shared the improper payments with former employees of Petrobras and that Pride may have assisted in or facilitated these improper payments.In a statement on Thursday, Ensco said the terms of the agreement were confidential, adding that “no payments will be made by either party in connection with this settlement.”It added: “The parties also agreed to normalize business relations. As a result, the agreement provides for Ensco’s participation in current and future Petrobras tenders on the same basis as all other companies invited to these tenders.”As for the drillship behind the now resolved spat, Bassoe Analytics data shows the rig has been cold-stacked in Spain.Offshore Energy Today Stafflast_img read more