25 Dec

DONEGAL FARMERS CHARGED €500K IN SINGLE FARM PAYMENT PENALTIES

first_imgFianna Fáil’s Seanad Spokesperson on Agriculture, Senator Brian Ó Domhnaill, has revealed that farmers in Co Donegal were forced to pay out nearly €500,000 in penalties under the Single Farm Payment scheme in 2013.Senator O’DomhnaillIn reply to questions from Fianna Fáil, the Department of Agriculture has said admitted that more than €5m was taken in penalties from farm payments last year.Farmers in Co Donegal were hit with among the highest level of penalties in the country, totalling an extortionate €499,118. Senator Ó Domhnaill said the hefty fines are causing real hardship to farmers across Co Donegal.“These fines are extremely harsh and totally unnecessary in most cases. Many of the penalties imposed are for innocent errors made because the process is overly complicated and bureaucratic,” said Senator Ó Domhnaill.“I know many smaller farmers across Donegal who are already struggling with cuts to supports and increased operating costs. On top of all of this, they are being hit with hefty fines for errors mainly caused by the unreasonable level of red tape they must go through to receive their Single Farm Payment.“It’s disgraceful that in Minister Coveney continues to allow Donegal farmers to pay the highest price when it comes to cuts and penalties. It’s further evidence of the Minister’s failure to stand up for the smaller farmers across the North West who are crippled by cuts to supports and unnecessary bills.” The Donegal Senator said many local farmers are becoming increasingly distressed about the high level of bureaucracy, penalties and inspections for extremely trivial issues.He added that many are choosing not to apply for supports because of the enormous amount of paperwork and procedures involved. Others are fearful of being hit with a penalty because of a minor mistake.“This penalty system is a blunt instrument that makes no consideration of innocent errors and why they occurred. I am appealing to Minister Coveney to immediately review the scale of these penalties with a view to cancelling them or reducing them dramatically.“I am also calling on the Minister to ensure that where innocent errors were made that were not the fault of the farmers themselves, the money taken from them be repaid in full,” said Senator Ó Domhnaill. DONEGAL FARMERS CHARGED €500K IN SINGLE FARM PAYMENT PENALTIES was last modified: June 6th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegalSENATOR BRIAN O DOMHNAILLsingle farm paymentslast_img read more

30 Sep

Its Official Rory McIlroy Has Goods To Be Next

For years, Tiger Woods dominated golf and anyone who came along as he predecessor, he demolished. As Woods returns to form – and he is playing outstanding again – he has finally met his golfing match.Rory McIlroy has, in the last several weeks, solidified himself as the No. 1 player in the world. More than that, at just 23, he has made a case for being the new dominant force in the sport.Sunday, McIlroy eclipsed the strongest field of the year – a field that included Woods, Phil Mickelson, Vijay Singh, Lee Westwood, et al – shooting a final-round 67 for a two-shot win.It was McIlroy’s second straight win in two weeks, making him the first to do so since Woods in 2009. He’s won three of his last four tournaments – including the PGA Championshp for his second major. He is a remarkable 53-under par in those wins.”He’s going out there and is up near the lead and posts a good number,” Woods said. ”He’s doing the things he needs to do, and as he said, he’s feeling very confident about his game. Right now he’s just really played well, and he’s making a ton of putts. That’s a great combo.”Woods and McIlroy have been spending a lot of time together in the last month – whether they’re in the same group on the golf course, as they have been four times during the playoffs and will be again for the opening round of the Tour Championship; in TV interviews together; in the interview room, where one is behind a microphone and the other waiting his turn in the back of the room; or at lunch after the pro-am.McIlroy from Northern Ireland said he recalls vividly watching Woods do as he is doing now.”I think I’ve always had an appreciation for what Tiger did over the years,” McIlroy said. ”The more you put yourself in this position, and the more you win, and the more you pick up trophies, it becomes normal, and it feels like this is what you’re supposed to do. I’m sure that’s how he felt when he was on that run, and how he still feels. He still won three times this year.”Part of McIlroy’s success is that he seems humble.”I don’t think I’m quite there yet,” he said. ”But I’m getting to that stage where I’m thinking, ‘This is what I should be doing. I should be lifting a trophy at the end of the week.’ It’s been great. The last four weeks, five weeks have been incredible, some of the best golf that I’ve ever played. I’m going to try and keep the run going for as long as possible.” read more

17 Sep

Three Canadian Institutions Announces Extension on Scholarships

first_imgFacebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, 21 Nov 2014 – Mount Royal University, Royal Roads University and TELUQ University are the three institutions where scholarships are being offered for further studies in Canada. The Governor’s Office has issued notice to announce that the deadline for application for scholarships through Canada’s Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade (DFAIT) has been extended to Monday December 1st, 2014. Students or potential students wanting to achieve a certification in medical terminology or a Graduate Certificate in Destination Development or a take part in a short course in Wildlife Management, should apply. Could be seen as good or bad… but for these studies, you will not have to leave home; these are a part of the Canadian Viral University Scholarship Project. I have published the link to apply … follow me on Twitter @DeeCaribbean. Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Canada offers help in financial services sector to TCI Working Group Related Items:canada, department of foreign affairs and international trade, destination development, graduate certificate, mount royal university, Royal Roads University and TELUQ University, wiildlife management Recommended for you PanAm Junior Games countdown on Ex-Govt Consultant ordered to leave TCIlast_img read more

17 Sep

Premier on Death of TCIs Oldest Resident

first_imgFacebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Related Items: Hon Sharlene L Cartwright RobinsonPremier & Minister of FinanceThe Turks and Caicos Islandscenter_img Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp#TurksandCaicos, January 23, 2018 – South Caicos – Premier Robinson regrets the passing of Turks and Caicos Islands’ oldest resident, Ms. Eliza “Ma Lilah” Basden of South Caicos.  Ms. Basden passed on Thursday, January 19, 2018 peacefully at home in South Caicos at the age of 104 years old.Ms. Basden has made outstanding contributions to the island and is known amongst most for her sterling contribution to her Church and by extension of the Turks and Caicos Island Baptist Union and the Soroptimist Club.  She served as the first female executive member of the Turks and Caicos Islands Baptist Union and to date is the longest serving Recording Secretary.Premier Robinson on her passing says that, “Ms. Basden has been blessed to enjoy 104yrs and this is testament to God’s blessing on her life and her strength.  Knowing her personally, I have seen her strength and her commitment to her beliefs.  She was a loyal person and faithful to her commitment whether it was to the Church or the wider community.  She has left an indelivle mark on those who met her.  I believe that her life when celebrated on February 3rd, 2018 will speak volumes to this great giant of a lady and will inspire many to serve their God, Church and community with passion.”last_img read more

30 Aug

Sex Toy Company Will Pay 375 Million to Settle Spying Claim

first_img Free Webinar | Sept 5: Tips and Tools for Making Progress Toward Important Goals Attend this free webinar and learn how you can maximize efficiency while getting the most critical things done right. March 15, 2017 The Canadian maker of an internet-connected sex toy has agreed to pay $3.75 million to settle claims that it collected users’ data without their permission.The We-Vibe Rave, from Ottawa-based Standard Innovation, is a Bluetooth- and Wi-Fi-compatible vibrator that allegedly recorded settings and usage data to transmit to the company’s servers, according to Canadian newswire Postmedia.Two women filed a class-action lawsuit against Standard Innovation last fall, claiming that the company’s data collection violated their privacy rights. Standard Innovation settled without admitting wrongdoing, Postmedia reported.Under the terms of the settlement, each customer who bought a We-Vibe and used its companion app, called We-Connect, is entitled to up to $10,000. Customers who didn’t use the app can claim up to $199.Standard Innovation said in a statement that it has also agreed to change its privacy policy and data collection practices to allow customers to use its app without supplying personally-identifiable information and to opt out of sharing anonymous data.”Customers do not provide their name, email or phone number or other identifying information to use We-Connect,” the company said in a statement emailed to PCMag.The We-Vibe website was not accessible on Tuesday afternoon, but the product’s page on Amazon offered a few for sale from third-party retailers starting at $70, and explained how We-Connect works: in addition to controlling the vibrator remotely via the internet (say, if your partner is in another city), a “Sync” function allows you to coordinate the vibrator to your music playlist.The We-Vibe settlement comes a little more than one month after TV maker Vizio admitted to a similar data collection program that spied on users. Vizio agreed to pay $2.2 million to settle those claims. Register Now » 2 min read This story originally appeared on PCMaglast_img read more