4 Jun

Doyle fails in appeal to overturn conviction for Geoghegan murder

first_imgWalk in Covid testing available in Limerick from Saturday 10th April Andrew Carey at the Criminal Courts of Justice, [email protected] up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up THE MAN convicted of the murder of Shane Geoghegan is to remain in prison to serve his life sentence after the three Judge Court of Appeal ruled this week that the conviction was safe.Barry Doyle (30) with addresses in Portland Row, Dublin and Hyde Road, Limerick has failed in his bid to overturn the conviction after lodging 27 grounds for the appeal.Shane Geoghegan, the innocent Limerick rugby player who had been out watching a friendly international match earlier that evening, was returning home when a gunman approached and shot him several times just yards from his house in Kilteragh, Dooradoyle on November 9, 2008.Following a retrial, a jury at the Central Criminal Court found Doyle guilty of the charge and he was given the mandatory life sentence by Mr Justice Garrett Sheehan on February 16, 2012.In his submission to the Court of Appeal, the 30-year-old father of one claimed that admissions made following more than a dozen Garda interviews were obtained through duress.Martin O’Rourke SC, said that the welfare of Doyle’s partner and child were used against him after being told that his partner was being held in custody away from their sick child and that Doyle was told that he could “do something about that”.During the 15th such interview while in garda custody, Doyle admitted that he shot Mr Geoghegan in a case of mistaken identity. RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR NewsBreaking newsDoyle fails in appeal to overturn conviction for Geoghegan murder By Staff Reporter – June 8, 2015 794 Email Facebook Print WhatsApp In their ruling, the three judge court of appeal said that all of the appeal “submissions were fully ventilated and carefully considered by the trial judge. The many issues were re-visited in a hearing in this court that occupied two full days of oral argument and which were also explored in comprehensive submissions that were of great assistance to the court.Concluding the five minute hearing, Mr Justice Sean Ryan said that the “court is satisfied that none of the grounds of appeal can succeed. The trial was satisfactory and the conviction of Mr Doyle was safe.” Surgeries and clinic cancellations extended Proceedures and appointments cancelled again at UHL Previous articlePICTURES – Allianz East Limerick Cumann na mBunscol hurling leagueNext articleGAA – Limerick’s Weekend GAA results Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Shannondoc operating but only by appointment Advertisement First Irish death from Coronavirus TAGSBarry DoylefeaturedShane Geoghegan Twitter No vaccines in Limerick yet Linkedinlast_img read more

18 Nov

Suspected plague killed 42 in Congo, WHO says

first_img The low case-fatality ratio is unusual for pneumonic plague, which suggests that the number of suspected cases may be overestimated, the WHO stated. The outbreaks, which include 626 suspected cases, occurred between Jul 31 and Oct 8 in two health zones in the Haut-Uele district, most of them in the Wamba zone of Oriental province in the northern part of the country. The plague bacterium, Yersinia pestis, circulates mainly among rodents and their fleas but occasionally spreads to humans. It is transmitted primarily by flea bites, direct contact, or inhalation of contaminated respiratory droplets. Oct 19, 2006 (CIDRAP News) – The World Health Organization reported last week that 42 people in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) died recently of suspected pneumonic plague. Plague kills 30% to 60% of infected people if left untreated, but it can be effectively treated with antibiotics and other measures if diagnosed in time, according to the WHO. Pneumonic plague accounts for only 2% of plague cases. About 99% of all plague cases and deaths occur in Africa. The agency said a team from Medecins sans Frontieres (Doctors without Borders), the WHO, and the provincial health ministry carried out the initial investigation. Disease surveillance was being stepped up, and authorities were implementing case management, contact tracing, and sensitization measures in the outbreak area. May 27, 2005, CIDRAP News article “Plague outbreak highlighted ongoing problem in Africa”center_img In rapid diagnostic tests in the field, three of eight samples were positive for pneumonic plague, the least common but most lethal form of the disease. Further laboratory analysis was underway, the WHO said. Oct 13 WHO statement on plague outbreakhttp://www.who.int/csr/don/2006_10_13/en/ See also: In June the WHO reported that 100 people in the DRC had died of suspected pneumonic plague. Nineteen of the deaths occurred in Ituri district in the northeastern Oriental province, a plague hotbed. CIDRAP plague overviewlast_img read more