4 Jun

Doyle fails in appeal to overturn conviction for Geoghegan murder

first_imgWalk in Covid testing available in Limerick from Saturday 10th April Andrew Carey at the Criminal Courts of Justice, [email protected] up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up THE MAN convicted of the murder of Shane Geoghegan is to remain in prison to serve his life sentence after the three Judge Court of Appeal ruled this week that the conviction was safe.Barry Doyle (30) with addresses in Portland Row, Dublin and Hyde Road, Limerick has failed in his bid to overturn the conviction after lodging 27 grounds for the appeal.Shane Geoghegan, the innocent Limerick rugby player who had been out watching a friendly international match earlier that evening, was returning home when a gunman approached and shot him several times just yards from his house in Kilteragh, Dooradoyle on November 9, 2008.Following a retrial, a jury at the Central Criminal Court found Doyle guilty of the charge and he was given the mandatory life sentence by Mr Justice Garrett Sheehan on February 16, 2012.In his submission to the Court of Appeal, the 30-year-old father of one claimed that admissions made following more than a dozen Garda interviews were obtained through duress.Martin O’Rourke SC, said that the welfare of Doyle’s partner and child were used against him after being told that his partner was being held in custody away from their sick child and that Doyle was told that he could “do something about that”.During the 15th such interview while in garda custody, Doyle admitted that he shot Mr Geoghegan in a case of mistaken identity. RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR NewsBreaking newsDoyle fails in appeal to overturn conviction for Geoghegan murder By Staff Reporter – June 8, 2015 794 Email Facebook Print WhatsApp In their ruling, the three judge court of appeal said that all of the appeal “submissions were fully ventilated and carefully considered by the trial judge. The many issues were re-visited in a hearing in this court that occupied two full days of oral argument and which were also explored in comprehensive submissions that were of great assistance to the court.Concluding the five minute hearing, Mr Justice Sean Ryan said that the “court is satisfied that none of the grounds of appeal can succeed. The trial was satisfactory and the conviction of Mr Doyle was safe.” Surgeries and clinic cancellations extended Proceedures and appointments cancelled again at UHL Previous articlePICTURES – Allianz East Limerick Cumann na mBunscol hurling leagueNext articleGAA – Limerick’s Weekend GAA results Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Shannondoc operating but only by appointment Advertisement First Irish death from Coronavirus TAGSBarry DoylefeaturedShane Geoghegan Twitter No vaccines in Limerick yet Linkedinlast_img read more

19 Oct

Closure of Sunda Wiwitan tomb violates human rights: Komnas HAM

first_imgBeka accused the Kuningan administration of violating Article 6 of Law No. 39/1999 on human rights, which states the government must uphold the rights of indigenous communities.Another document that guaranteed civil and political rights was Article 18 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, he added.“Komnas HAM will follow up on the report by requesting information from all parties, conducting field monitoring and investigations and holding a dialogue with the relevant stakeholders,” Beka said.Furthermore, Komnas HAM called on the Kuningan administration to reopen the tomb and called on the central government to protect the constitutional rights of the Sunda Wiwitan community.The commission urged all parties to promote peaceful dialogue and asked the local police to prevent violence and expressions of hatred in the region, as well as act decisively on actions that went against the law.Topics : The recent closure of a tomb built by Sunda Wiwitan, an indigenous faith group in West Java, is a violation of human rights, the National Commission on Human Rights (Komnas HAM) has said following reports by the group’s followers that the tomb was forcibly sealed off.Komnas HAM commissioner Beka Ulung Hapsara said the tomb’s closure conflicted with the principles of human rights contained in Article 28 of the 1945 Constitution, which guarantees freedom of worship.“It should be noted that every citizen has the right to adhere to [their own] beliefs as part of civil and political rights,” Beka said in a statement on Monday. Last week, the West Java administration closed off the Sunda Wiwitan tomb – built for the group’s elders in Cisantana village in Cigugur district, Kuningan regency – on the grounds that it was an unlicensed “monument”.Read also: Sunda Wiwitan claims human rights violation as govt closes off unlicensed tombSunda Wiwitan said it had applied for a building permit with the West Java Capital Investment and One-Stop Services Agency (DPMPTSP) earlier this month, but the application was rejected.Komnas HAM said the group had also proposed the establishment of the Akur Sunda Wiwitan Cigugur community to the Kuningan regent, but the request was rejected.last_img read more