Walk in Covid testing available in Limerick from Saturday 10th April Andrew Carey at the Criminal Courts of Justice, [email protected] up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up THE MAN convicted of the murder of Shane Geoghegan is to remain in prison to serve his life sentence after the three Judge Court of Appeal ruled this week that the conviction was safe.Barry Doyle (30) with addresses in Portland Row, Dublin and Hyde Road, Limerick has failed in his bid to overturn the conviction after lodging 27 grounds for the appeal.Shane Geoghegan, the innocent Limerick rugby player who had been out watching a friendly international match earlier that evening, was returning home when a gunman approached and shot him several times just yards from his house in Kilteragh, Dooradoyle on November 9, 2008.Following a retrial, a jury at the Central Criminal Court found Doyle guilty of the charge and he was given the mandatory life sentence by Mr Justice Garrett Sheehan on February 16, 2012.In his submission to the Court of Appeal, the 30-year-old father of one claimed that admissions made following more than a dozen Garda interviews were obtained through duress.Martin O’Rourke SC, said that the welfare of Doyle’s partner and child were used against him after being told that his partner was being held in custody away from their sick child and that Doyle was told that he could “do something about that”.During the 15th such interview while in garda custody, Doyle admitted that he shot Mr Geoghegan in a case of mistaken identity. RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR NewsBreaking newsDoyle fails in appeal to overturn conviction for Geoghegan murder By Staff Reporter – June 8, 2015 794 Email Facebook Print WhatsApp In their ruling, the three judge court of appeal said that all of the appeal “submissions were fully ventilated and carefully considered by the trial judge. The many issues were re-visited in a hearing in this court that occupied two full days of oral argument and which were also explored in comprehensive submissions that were of great assistance to the court.Concluding the five minute hearing, Mr Justice Sean Ryan said that the “court is satisfied that none of the grounds of appeal can succeed. The trial was satisfactory and the conviction of Mr Doyle was safe.” Surgeries and clinic cancellations extended Proceedures and appointments cancelled again at UHL Previous articlePICTURES – Allianz East Limerick Cumann na mBunscol hurling leagueNext articleGAA – Limerick’s Weekend GAA results Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Shannondoc operating but only by appointment Advertisement First Irish death from Coronavirus TAGSBarry DoylefeaturedShane Geoghegan Twitter No vaccines in Limerick yet Linkedin
By Maddy VitaleOcean City Mayor Jay Gillian and a crowd of supporters headed into the City Clerk’s office Wednesday morning, where he handed in his nominating petitions for the May 8 municipal election. The mayor was accompanied by his wife Michele Gillian, executive director of the Ocean City Regional Chamber of Commerce, their children, members of City Council, and others who came out to show support.Gillian is seeking his third, four-year term. Former Councilman John Flood turned in his petitions Monday to challenge Gillian for top post. The mayor, who took office in 2010, told a packed room in City Hall, that he is grateful to those who have stood by him in his efforts to keep the city going in the right direction. Mayor Jay Gillian with his wife Michele and their children Emily Gillian, Josh Gillian, Patrick Berenato and Mimi Cottrell.“Guys, I couldn’t have done it without you these last eight years,” Gillian said. “Thank you.”Since taking office, Gillian has implemented numerous capital projects, including repairs and improvements to sidewalks and roads. The Boardwalk was reconstructed during Gillian’s tenure and several drainage projects to reduce coastal flooding were completed, while others are underway. Dredging shallow back bays has also been one of his major projects. Another one of his priorities is renovating or replacing the public safety building, he has said.Mayor Jay Gillian with Councilman Bob Barr in front. From left; Councilwoman Karen Bergman, Council President Pete Madden, Councilman Keith Hartzell and Councilman Tony Wilson.“To me, it all started with unity in the community. I wanted everyone to work together through good times and bad,” Gillian, 53, said in an interview after he handed in his petitions. “We have spent eight years rebuilding the infrastructure of our town. I could not do it without the support of the community.”The mayor said it comes down to a love for Ocean City and a good work ethic.“I’m not a politician. I’m a statesman,” Gillian remarked. “I believe in hard work. That is how I was raised.” Gillian is the owner of his family’s Boardwalk amusement business, Gillian’s Wonderland Pier, which was started by his grandfather, David, in 1929. He got into public service through his father, Roy Gillian, a former Ocean City mayor.Flood, Gillian’s challenger, was on Council from 1988 to 1996. In 2011 he filled an unexpired term of then Councilwoman Susan Sheppard after she was elected to the Cape May County Board of Freeholders. She is now a Superior Court judge.Flood, 65, is a lifelong Ocean City resident, who owns commercial properties in the resort. He said in a press release earlier this week, that he spoke with concerned citizens who want to see more open and accessible government. He said that inspired him to run for mayor.In addition to the mayoral race, the election will include three at-large City Council seats. Incumbents Peter Madden, Karen Bergman and Keith Hartzell are seeking re-election. They turned in their petitions previously, according to the City Clerk’s Office.No other Council candidates have announced as of Wednesday afternoon.Candidates have until March 5 to submit their nominating petitions. Petitions must be signed by a minimum of 1 percent of the city’s 9,270 registered voters for candidates to have their names placed on the ballot.Mayor Jay Gillian with wife Michele Gillian, says if re-elected he would continue to work to improve the city’s infrastructure and keep Ocean City going in the right direction.