12 Jun

Journalist gunned down in Zacatecas state after photographing murder victims

first_imgNews December 16, 2020 Journalist gunned down in Zacatecas state after photographing murder victims Reports RSF_en May 5, 2021 Find out more Twitter Receive email alerts Jaime Castaño Zacarías, the editor of the PrensaLibreMx news website, was gunned down on 9 December as he was returning from covering an event in the west of the town for the mayor, for whom he also worked.According to colleagues contacted by RSF and witnesses quoted by the newspaper La Jornada, Castaño stopped on his way back to photograph the bodies of two men who had just been murdered. When told him to delete his photos by a man at the scene (at which the police had not yet arrived), Castaño refused and drove off. A few kilometres further on, he was caught up by another car whose occupants opened fire, killing him on the spot.“The local authorities must shed all possible light on the Jaime Castaño’s execution-style murder,” said Emmanuel Colombié, the head of RSF’s Latin America desk. “The level of violence against the Mexican media is appalling. We call on both local and federal authorities to take stock of journalists’ extreme vulnerability and do what is necessary to guarantee their safety in this region and the rest of the country.”Castaño was an experienced photo-journalist who had worked for years for the regional newspaper El Sol de Zacatecas. He posted articles about the environment on PrensaLibreMx, as well as other stories. The authorities have so far made no official statement about the investigation into his murder and RSF was unsuccessful in its attempts to reach Jerez’s mayor or the Zacatecas state prosecutor’s office.Jerez has seen many murders and abductions since August, along with frequent clashes between two of Mexico’s most dangerous and powerful cartels, the Jalisco Nueva Generación cartel and the Sinaloa cartel. A total of 26 murders were reported in the region during the past weekend, 14 of them in the town alone.At least seven other journalists have been murdered in connection with their work in 2020 in Mexico, making it the world’s deadliest country for the media. This year’s seven other victims are Arturo Alba Medina, Israël Vázquez Rangel, Julio Valdivia Rodríguez, Pablo Morrugares, Víctor Fernando Álvarez Chávez, Jorge Miguel Armenta Ávalos and Maria Elena Ferral Hernández.Mexico is ranked 143rd out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2020 World Press Freedom Index . News Reporter murdered in northwestern Mexico’s Sonora state Reporters Without Borders (RSF) calls for urgent reinforced protection for journalists in Mexico, where the spiral of violence against the media has taken another fatal victim, this time a photojournalist based in Jerez, a town in the north-central state of Zacatecas. Newscenter_img to go further Help by sharing this information AmericasMexico Protecting journalists Freedom of expressionViolence May 13, 2021 Find out more Follow the news on Mexico April 28, 2021 Find out more AmericasMexico Protecting journalists Freedom of expressionViolence Organisation NSO Group hasn’t kept its promises on human rights, RSF and other NGOs say 2011-2020: A study of journalist murders in Latin America confirms the importance of strengthening protection policieslast_img read more

4 Jun

No oral hearing on Aughinish rock-blasting

first_imgShannon Airport braced for a devastating blow CAPPAGH Farmers Support Group (CFSG) have criticised An Bord Pleanála for rejecting their application for an oral hearing regarding Rusal Aughinish’s plans to rock-blast close to the red mud ponds on their site at Aughinish Island.CFSG chairman Pat Geoghegan believes it has denied his group the opportunity to air their views publicly to the dangers of the rock blasting. He also says that Rusal’s burrow pit proposal will have a life-long detrimental impact on fauna, wildlife, marine life and the natural environment.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up “We believe such an application was reckless in the first place to be even lodged by this company. It would entail the setting off of explosives metres from an embankment storing approximately 40 million tonnes of toxic waste.“Should the embankment, which is only made up of crush rock was to be breached, it would allow thousands of tonnes to immediately flow into the Shannon destroying all before it,” Mr Geoghegan warned.This would leave the River Shannon destroyed for decades to come and clean up costs running into millions.“All this to save the company the cost of sourcing rock, which can easily be got from quarries in the area.”“An Bord Pleanála’s decision has also denied our group a forum for Irish and international experts to highlight the very real dangers of this rock blasting operation. We had also secured the services of an environment expert who has studied the dangers such blasting would have to the environment such as in Hungary in 2010 when people died and the local environment was destroyed,” he told the Limerick Post.Most of all, this decision has denied the local community an opportunity to voice their anger and their concerns to this blasting going ahead for approximately ten years and the effect it will also have on their property.“It’s a sad day that shows us and the public the protection that this company is afforded by An Bord Pleanála that they are not answerable to the public as we now await a final decision to be made.”In their response to the group’s claims, An Bord Pleanála stated that it has decided to determine the appeal without an oral hearing.“The Board has concluded that the appeal can be dealt with adequately through written procedures,” a spokesman explained. Facebook TAGSAughinishAughinish AluminaEnvironmentNewspoliticsRusal Limerick centre needed to tackle environmental issues Twitter Linkedin WhatsApp Email Vicky calls for right to die with dignitycenter_img Previous article€1.8 million spent on private ambulancesNext articleMind the windows Alan Jacqueshttp://www.limerickpost.ie Population of Mid West region increased by more than 3,000 in past year NewsEnvironmentPoliticsNo oral hearing on Aughinish rock-blastingBy Alan Jacques – July 13, 2018 1536 Limerick on Covid watch list Advertisement Print RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Local backlash over Aer Lingus threat last_img read more