Walk in Covid testing available in Limerick from Saturday 10th April Andrew Carey at the Criminal Courts of Justice, [email protected] up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up THE MAN convicted of the murder of Shane Geoghegan is to remain in prison to serve his life sentence after the three Judge Court of Appeal ruled this week that the conviction was safe.Barry Doyle (30) with addresses in Portland Row, Dublin and Hyde Road, Limerick has failed in his bid to overturn the conviction after lodging 27 grounds for the appeal.Shane Geoghegan, the innocent Limerick rugby player who had been out watching a friendly international match earlier that evening, was returning home when a gunman approached and shot him several times just yards from his house in Kilteragh, Dooradoyle on November 9, 2008.Following a retrial, a jury at the Central Criminal Court found Doyle guilty of the charge and he was given the mandatory life sentence by Mr Justice Garrett Sheehan on February 16, 2012.In his submission to the Court of Appeal, the 30-year-old father of one claimed that admissions made following more than a dozen Garda interviews were obtained through duress.Martin O’Rourke SC, said that the welfare of Doyle’s partner and child were used against him after being told that his partner was being held in custody away from their sick child and that Doyle was told that he could “do something about that”.During the 15th such interview while in garda custody, Doyle admitted that he shot Mr Geoghegan in a case of mistaken identity. RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR NewsBreaking newsDoyle fails in appeal to overturn conviction for Geoghegan murder By Staff Reporter – June 8, 2015 794 Email Facebook Print WhatsApp In their ruling, the three judge court of appeal said that all of the appeal “submissions were fully ventilated and carefully considered by the trial judge. The many issues were re-visited in a hearing in this court that occupied two full days of oral argument and which were also explored in comprehensive submissions that were of great assistance to the court.Concluding the five minute hearing, Mr Justice Sean Ryan said that the “court is satisfied that none of the grounds of appeal can succeed. The trial was satisfactory and the conviction of Mr Doyle was safe.” Surgeries and clinic cancellations extended Proceedures and appointments cancelled again at UHL Previous articlePICTURES – Allianz East Limerick Cumann na mBunscol hurling leagueNext articleGAA – Limerick’s Weekend GAA results Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Shannondoc operating but only by appointment Advertisement First Irish death from Coronavirus TAGSBarry DoylefeaturedShane Geoghegan Twitter No vaccines in Limerick yet Linkedin
DNY59/iStock(LOS ANGELES) — A former Los Angeles Police Department officer was sentenced to 40 years to life in prison for the murder of a 23-year-old man.Henry Solis said he was acting in self-defense while attempting to arrest Salome Rodriguez on March 13, 2015, in Pomona, California, for an alleged assault and robbery, according to court documents.Police at the time of the shooting said Solis and Rodriguez got into an altercation that escalated after Solis pursued the other man on foot and fired multiple shots.But prosecutors with the Los Angeles District Attorney’s Office said Solis pursued Rodriguez as he walked past him outside an unnamed bar, opened fire and killed Rodriguez, according to a statement issued on Wednesday after the sentencing.Although Solis was off duty and a probationary officer at the time, he testified in his own defense that he is “on duty 24 hours a day” and even presented his badge during the encounter, according to court documents. Surveillance video from the street captured portions of the incident and was shown at trial, according to court documents.A jury found 32-year-old Solis guilty of second-degree murder in February after two days of deliberations.Solis’ attorney Bradley Brunon was “disappointed” with the verdict, according to the Los Angeles Times.“Henry Solis is a good person. He spent years serving the country honorably [and] would have made a terrific peace officer,” Brunon said, according to the LA Times. “Unfortunately, this event occurred and derailed his plans. … We felt that the evidence didn’t warrant a murder conviction — perhaps manslaughter on a theory of provocation or imperfect self-defense. [The] jury didn’t agree. Forty to life is a big jolt for anybody, particularly somebody who’s never had a misdeed in his life.”After the shooting, Solis fled the scene and met up with his father, who drove him to El Paso, Texas, where he crossed the border into Mexico, prosecutors said. His 53-year-old father was convicted by a federal jury in June 2015 for making a false statement to the FBI about Solis’ whereabouts.Solis was fired by the LAPD while on the run and before he was arrested by Mexican authorities in May 2015.Rodriguez’s mother and father filed a federal civil rights and wrongful death lawsuit in the U.S. District Court in Central District of California against Solis, the city of Los Angeles and 50 unidentified people.The city responded to the lawsuit, saying that it “lacks sufficient information” but noted that Solis’ actions were “reasonable and necessary for self-defense,” according to documents.Solis failed to appear in court and did not respond to the lawsuit, according to court documents.The lawsuit was put on pause in January pending the results of the criminal trial.Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.
The Football Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina has been determined to continue playing in the 2019/2020 season since the suspension of the competition in the BH Telecom Premier League from 14.03.2020 until today, due to the COVID-19 pandemic.All necessary activities, legal actions, procedures, UEFA recommendations and recommendations of the competent authorities have been taken, which are a precondition for the organization of matches at stadiums in our country.Fully aware of the competencies, the global situation and the daily changes in terms of mitigation of measures, a series of meetings of the Executive Board, meetings with clubs of the BH Telecom Premier League, meetings and written correspondence with relevant institutions were held with the desire to use the minimum conditions to continue the competition in the last possible and feasible date and that is on the weekend of 06.06.2020 or no later than 13.06.2020. All analyses have shown that the start of the competition after the weekend 13/14.06.2020 is not realistically feasible due to a number of objective reasons and the competition cannot be continued and realized in order to be completed by the prescribed deadline set by UEFA (02.08.2020).Decisions on the abolition of measures prohibiting the holding of sports competitions, which are still in force, should be made by the competent authorities in Bosnia and Herzegovina.Considering the different information of the competent crisis headquarters through the media, different interpretations of the decisions made and the feasibility of mitigation of measures, the FF BH again sent written requests to the competent entity bodies on 26.06.2020, in order to obtain confirmation and permission to continue the competition and possibly implement its decisions.The answer to the letters we sent to the competent authorities has not arrived yet, so the FF BH does not have an official approval or permission to continue competing in leagues of all categories.When written decisions and answers on the status of measures on the circumstances of the coronavirus epidemic in our country are received, the FF BH Executive Board will act promptly and make an official decision on the continuation or termination of competitions organized under the auspices of the umbrella house of football in Bosnia and Herzegovina.