Receive email alerts RSF_en RSF begins research into mechanisms for protecting journalists in Latin America News News RSF, IFEX-ALC and Media Defence, support FLIP and journalist Diana Díaz against state harassment in Colombia Reporters Without Borders is very worried about the media and, in particular, two journalists who have been threatened in Barrancabermeja, in Santander department, a region still exposed to the danger of paramilitaries and currently experiencing a new crime wave. Help by sharing this information News Follow the news on Colombia 2011-2020: A study of journalist murders in Latin America confirms the importance of strengthening protection policies to go further May 13, 2021 Find out more ColombiaAmericas Reports ColombiaAmericas January 23, 2008 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Paramilitary threats against journalists in Santander department show predators have not disarmed April 27, 2021 Find out more Organisation Reporters Without Borders calls for greater vigilance by the authorities after threats and intimidation, apparently by paramilitaries, against journalists in Barrancabermeja, in the northern department of Santander, especially Alvaro Pérez Vides, the head of community TV station Tele Petróleo, and Diro César González, the editor of the regional daily La Tarde. “Those who prey on the press have not disarmed,” the press freedom organisation said. “Despite the demobilisation of the United Self-Defence Groups of Colombia (AUC) from June 2003 to June 2006, the paramilitaries continue to pose a grave threat to civil liberties, especially in the provinces.”Reporters Without Borders added: “Pérez has a bodyguard and González is being protected by the interior ministry but this unfortunately does not remove the threat. As ‘demobilised’ paramilitaries infiltrate society, judicial actions pending against them need to be speeded up. Investigative work is also needed involving both the authorities and civil society, including the press.”Pérez was alerted twice by his bodyguard about the presence of paramilitaries around his home and the premises of the Barrancabermeja-based TV station he runs, Tele Petróleo. Two men on a motorcycle and three in pickup took up position outside the entrance to the station on 21 January. Notified by the bodyguard, members of the Department for Security Administration (DAS), an intelligence agency, arrested the three in the pickup (one of whom was a minor) and quickly identified them as demobilised AUC members. In the absence of an arrest warrant, the DAS released them.When the bodyguard came to collect Pérez the next day, he noticed individuals watching the house. Neighbours told Pérez the surveillance had been going on for several days. Their attire (ponchos and long boots of the kind used in marshes) was the same as that worn by the men outside Tele Petróleo. Some paramilitaries are recognisable by this kind of dress.Pérez attributes these threats to the judicial proceedings that were begun after his brother was murdered in 2006. Pérez has often spoken critically on the air this year about the presence of paramilitaries from the Bloque Central Bolívar (one of the AUC’s branches) in some of Barrancabermeja’s neighbourhoods. Paramilitaries have on occasions turned up unannounced at the TV station demanding to take it over. His family has also been threatened.González has also been targeted by paramilitaries and has been getting protection from the interior ministry for more than a year. His wife has nonetheless receiving threatening calls in recent weeks describing his movements. In November, he received a small bottle in the mail apparently containing blood and a death notice naming him as the deceased. Two months before that, a 9 mm bullet was found outside the door of his office.Twenty murders have been committed in Barrancabermeja since the start of the month in a new crime wave. Local human rights groups said: “The situation of the media is becoming increasingly tense because the victims (of violent crime) or those close to them do not want these cases reported at the national level.” Alluding to the paramilitaries, the human rights groups added that “the police and judicial authorities are doing nothing to investigate these people.” October 21, 2020 Find out more
Advertisement Linkedin Print Facebook Previous articleTreacy and co in court for keeping horsesNext articleEuro-5 engines for new Golf Estate admin NewsLocal NewsHouse unfit for human habitation claims Southill residentBy admin – June 25, 2009 598 Email Twitter A Southill resident, who wished not to be identified, says his home of 40 years is no longer fit for human habitation.The 62-year-old who has lived in O’Malley Park since the house was built in 1969, said, “I want to be rehoused somewhere decent”.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Over the years, he has watched the Corporation board up and demolish the houses that surround his own.He told the Limerick Post these derelict properties adjacent to his are now being used to dump rubbish.This has created what he described as a, “vermin infestation”.He also claims that he cannot open any windows because disease-carrying flies that have gathered at the rubbish outside will enter his home.He is now surrounded by these empty houses and has few close neighbours.His own home has now fallen into disrepair and he sees little point in maintaining it as the dwellings around him are covered with overgrowth and litter.As he does not own the house, he feels he is being neglected by Limerick City Council.“If it was my house, I would have been rehoused somewhere comfortable now, but because it’s not, they don’t want to know”.He says he has been trying desperately to be relocated along with his two sons, “I have been up and down to City Hall and I’m getting nowhere”.This frustration led him to stop paying his rent three months ago. He argues: “Nobody should have to live in the environment that I do”.The housing department at City Hall was not available for comment. WhatsApp
Walk in Covid testing available in Limerick from Saturday 10th April Andrew Carey at the Criminal Courts of Justice, [email protected] up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up THE MAN convicted of the murder of Shane Geoghegan is to remain in prison to serve his life sentence after the three Judge Court of Appeal ruled this week that the conviction was safe.Barry Doyle (30) with addresses in Portland Row, Dublin and Hyde Road, Limerick has failed in his bid to overturn the conviction after lodging 27 grounds for the appeal.Shane Geoghegan, the innocent Limerick rugby player who had been out watching a friendly international match earlier that evening, was returning home when a gunman approached and shot him several times just yards from his house in Kilteragh, Dooradoyle on November 9, 2008.Following a retrial, a jury at the Central Criminal Court found Doyle guilty of the charge and he was given the mandatory life sentence by Mr Justice Garrett Sheehan on February 16, 2012.In his submission to the Court of Appeal, the 30-year-old father of one claimed that admissions made following more than a dozen Garda interviews were obtained through duress.Martin O’Rourke SC, said that the welfare of Doyle’s partner and child were used against him after being told that his partner was being held in custody away from their sick child and that Doyle was told that he could “do something about that”.During the 15th such interview while in garda custody, Doyle admitted that he shot Mr Geoghegan in a case of mistaken identity. RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR NewsBreaking newsDoyle fails in appeal to overturn conviction for Geoghegan murder By Staff Reporter – June 8, 2015 794 Email Facebook Print WhatsApp In their ruling, the three judge court of appeal said that all of the appeal “submissions were fully ventilated and carefully considered by the trial judge. The many issues were re-visited in a hearing in this court that occupied two full days of oral argument and which were also explored in comprehensive submissions that were of great assistance to the court.Concluding the five minute hearing, Mr Justice Sean Ryan said that the “court is satisfied that none of the grounds of appeal can succeed. The trial was satisfactory and the conviction of Mr Doyle was safe.” Surgeries and clinic cancellations extended Proceedures and appointments cancelled again at UHL Previous articlePICTURES – Allianz East Limerick Cumann na mBunscol hurling leagueNext articleGAA – Limerick’s Weekend GAA results Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Shannondoc operating but only by appointment Advertisement First Irish death from Coronavirus TAGSBarry DoylefeaturedShane Geoghegan Twitter No vaccines in Limerick yet Linkedin
Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditNo. 10 Louisville (24-6, 15-4) vs. No. 22 Virginia (22-7, 14-5)John Paul Jones Arena, Charlottesville, Virginia; Saturday, 4 p.m. ESTBOTTOM LINE: Two ranked teams battle as No. 10 Louisville visits No. 22 Virginia in a late season showdown. Louisville has two wins and three losses against ranked opponents this season, while Virginia has won three of its five games against ranked teams. Ranked teams meet as No. 22 Virginia hosts No. 10 Louisville SAVVY VETERANS: Senior leadership has been on display for both of these teams. Mamadi Diakite, Braxton Key and Jay Huff have combined to score 54 percent of Virginia’s points this season and 60 percent of the team’s points over its last five games. For Louisville, Jordan Nwora, Dwayne Sutton, Steven Enoch and Ryan McMahon have collectively accounted for 61 percent of all Louisville scoring, including 69 percent of the team’s points over its last five games.FUELING THE OFFENSE: Kihei Clark has either made or assisted on 43 percent of all Virginia field goals over the last five games. The sophomore guard has accounted for 20 field goals and 26 assists in those games.PERFECT WHEN: Louisville is a perfect 18-0 when it scores at least 71 points. The Cardinals are 6-6 when scoring any fewer than 71.STREAK STATS: Louisville has dropped its last three road games, scoring 62.3 points and allowing 74.3 points during those contests. Virginia has won its last five home games, scoring an average of 58.4 points while giving up 52.8.STINGY DEFENSE: Virginia has held opposing teams to 52.3 points per game this season, the lowest figure among all Division I teams. Associated Press March 5, 2020 ___For more AP college basketball coverage: https://apnews.com/Collegebasketball and http://twitter.com/AP_Top25___This was generated by Automated Insights, http://www.automatedinsights.com/ap, using data from STATS LLC, https://www.stats.com
Former England captain Mike Brearley was critical of Virat Kohli’s captaincy in the last Test at The Oval against England. He said he was disappointed with the way Kohli took his foot off the peddle when England started dominating the game.”I was slightly disappointed with his captaincy at The Oval, when England started to get on top. He let things drift a bit, whereas when the match was evenly fought, or they were in with a chance, or had the new ball against Root, he was keen-eyed, hawk-eyed, articulate, non-stop, Brearley said in an interview with Daily Mail.India lost the Oval Test by 114 runs and went on to lose the five-match series 1-4 after. India’s sole victory in the series came at Trent Bridge in the third Test.Brearley, who captained England in 31 Tests, winning 18 of them, losing four and drawing nine, also shared his opinion on what he thinks about Kohli as a captain.Also read – Ravindra Jadeja takes an eternity to run out Hetmyer. Virat Kohli not amusedThe 76-year-old said that Kohli is a fantastic cricketer and admired him for the way he thinks on the field. But he added that his attitude and fierce thoughtfulness could make him autocratic as a leader.”I admire him probably as much as any cricketer I’ve seen. But there is a risk: everyone’s strengths can become faults and in his case his articulacy, his charisma, his presence, his skill, his fierce thoughtfulness could become tyrannical, a bit autocratic,” Brearley observed.advertisement Mike Brearley said that Kohli needs to be surrounded with people, who can challenge his opinions (Reuters Photo)So how does the team management handle the situation? According to the English legend, Kohli should be surrounded by people who can tackle him and challenge his opinions.Also read – At times lack of experience shows: Sunil Gavaskar on Virat Kohli’s captaincy”He needs people around him who will tackle him, take him on, challenge him, otherwise he’ll get opinionated and dogmatic, and then powerful — sometimes for good, sometimes not. I can imagine he might be difficult to play for. He’d be very impatient of carelessness or laziness or lack of intensity. And some people aren’t of that mentality,” Brearley opined.This is not the first time his captaincy has come under the scanner. Former cricketers have pulled him up for being defensive and going into a shell when things are not going his way.Also read – Virat Kohli batted like a champion but captaincy raises questionsThe most recent example was in the first Test at Edgbaston, when he allowed some leeway to young Sam Curran after England were reduced to 87/7 in the second innings of the Test match. The Surrey youngster came in and played a counter-attacking innings and Kohli pushed the field back, which allowed the younger Curran brother to score a match-winning 63 and take England’s score to 180.India in their chase of 193, were all-out for 162 and lost the match by 31 runs to go down 1-0. In the following Test match as well, he decided to go with Kuldeep Yadav in overcast conditions at Lord’s and the wily chinaman bowler was completely ineffective and went wicketless. India went on to lose the match by an inning and 159 runs.Fast forward to now, Kohli managed to lead the side to a resounding innings and 272-run win versus the West Indies in the first Test and he will next take the field on October 12, when he will lead the side out for the second Test. However, it is not expected that he will have much of a problem against a Windies side, that has been lacklustre in the first Test in Rajkot.His next test will again come a month later, when India tour Down Under, where they will play three T20Is, four Tests and three ODIs from November 21 and January 18.