4 Jun

House unfit for human habitation claims Southill resident

first_imgAdvertisement Linkedin Print Facebook Previous articleTreacy and co in court for keeping horsesNext articleEuro-5 engines for new Golf Estate admin NewsLocal NewsHouse unfit for human habitation claims Southill residentBy admin – June 25, 2009 598 center_img Email Twitter A Southill resident, who wished not to be identified, says his home of 40 years is no longer fit for human habitation.The 62-year-old who has lived in O’Malley Park since the house was built in 1969, said, “I want to be rehoused somewhere decent”.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Over the years, he has watched the Corporation board up and demolish the houses that surround his own.He told the Limerick Post these derelict properties adjacent to his are now being used to dump rubbish.This has created what he described as a, “vermin infestation”.He also claims that he cannot open any windows because disease-carrying flies that have gathered at the rubbish outside will enter his home.He is now surrounded by these empty houses and has few close neighbours.His own home has now fallen into disrepair and he sees little point in maintaining it as the dwellings around him are covered with overgrowth and litter.As he does not own the house, he feels he is being neglected by Limerick City Council.“If it was my house, I would have been rehoused somewhere comfortable now, but because it’s not, they don’t want to know”.He says he has been trying desperately to be relocated along with his two sons, “I have been up and down to City Hall and I’m getting nowhere”.This frustration led him to stop paying his rent three months ago. He argues: “Nobody should have to live in the environment that I do”.The housing department at City Hall was not available for comment. WhatsApplast_img read more

7 May

Who? Eric Eckardt to lead Purplebricks’ US operation

first_imgHome » News » Agencies & People » Who? Eric Eckardt to lead Purplebricks’ US operation previous nextAgencies & PeopleWho? Eric Eckardt to lead Purplebricks’ US operationFormer US investment banker and property tech entrepreneur will lead the company’s £50m move into the US marketNigel Lewis23rd February 201703,048 Views The newly-installed CEO of the Purplebricks’ USA operation is Eric Eckardt (pictured), a 42-year-old serial property tech start-up entrepreneur and keen skier with a background in investment banking.Educated in New York, he then joined the banking industry where he spent nine years working for three different banks including JP Morgan, Bank of Tokyo and ABN AMRO, before setting up his own company Eckhardt Holdings LLC.He used that as a vehicle to launch several start-ups including a private mortgage company and an online brokerage firm called ZonicRealty which he launched in 2012 with his brother.It prompted a lot of media coverage in the US, but in June 2016 morphed into Dwellowner.com. Like its predecessor, the company is a flat-fee brokerage rather than charging agents a percentage-based commission.At the same time Eric Eckardt was steering another business, Luxembourg-based Hubzu.com where he was a vice-president working direct with US brokers. Hubzu specialises in selling bank-owned properties but hired Eckardt to help move the company into the US real estate market.He left in 2015 and returned to the US to focus on his DwellExchange business, which he describes as a full-service hybrid real estate brokerage – something that no doubt attracted Purplebricks to him.Eckhart is also listed on US property portal Trulia.com as what’s called a ‘dual agent’ in the US – he represents both buyers and vendors – via his company DwellOwner. The website lists Eckhart as selling two properties so far both in NY. One was sold for $260,000 in November last year, and the other for $330,000 five weeks ago.Eckhart’s background would suggest that Purplebricks is aiming to launch at least one of its two start-up areas in the US within New York, although Purplebricks says the top five property markets by residential sales in the US are California, Texas, Florida, Illinois and Ohio. February 23, 2017Nigel LewisWhat’s your opinion? Cancel replyYou must be logged in to post a comment.Please note: This is a site for professional discussion. Comments will carry your full name and company.This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.Related articles BREAKING: Evictions paperwork must now include ‘breathing space’ scheme details30th April 2021 City dwellers most satisfied with where they live30th April 2021 Hong Kong remains most expensive city to rent with London in 4th place30th April 2021last_img read more

18 Dec

#YesAllWomen Demonstrators: Men Are Not Entitled to Women’s Bodies

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York About a dozen protesters—mostly women—stood at the edge of New York City’s Union Square Park Saturday as threatening clouds gave way to a brilliant sun. One by one, they shared similar stories of unwelcome catcalls from groups of males and other highly charged social topics, such as abortion, their voices piercing the air with a sense of urgency and newfound passion as they spoke out against misogyny. “It is a fact that all women, yes all women, experience violence, or the threat of violence by men,” yelled one woman, assisted by other demonstrators taking part in a call-and-response chant. “This is unacceptable. Women are not objects.”The demonstration was just one of several taking part in other cities across the country over the weekend. Protesters were inspired to take to the streets after a social media movement, #YesAllWomen, prompted women nationwide to flood Twitter with personal stories of unwanted jeers from men, and intrusive sexual advances, among other hot-button topics. The incident that inspired women—and men—to sound off on social media and in the streets was the horrific slaying of six people in Santa Barbara, California by a lone gunman who took his own life after the May 23 killing spree. It later come to light that he penned a manifesto detailing his apparent hatred of women, fueled by his own advances toward women that were not reciprocated. The shooting reignited the debate over gun control and ways to better address mental illness, but misogyny has dominated social media discussions ever since. Demonstrators held signs that read, “Men are not entitled to women’s bodies!” and “Misogyny is Madness,” as speakers took turns to address the smaller-than-expected gathering, while some passersby stopped to hear their message. “I’m here for my granddaughter and my granddaughter-to-be and for my younger self who was first grabbed inappropriately at the age of 10 and it really never let up until I turned 50 and got my invisibility cloak, which our culture gives to women when they’re deemed less attractive,” said 60-year-old Elizabeth Oguss, a former Syosset resident who now lives in New Jersey. Oguss felt compelled to join the rally Saturday after she saw the #YesAllWomen hashtag and thought, “my life is in these Tweets.” She added: “I’m here for the young women who have to get an escort or carry Mace (pepper spray) or put their keys in between their fingers in case they have to land a punch, which they know they’re not going to be able to do.”As one woman spoke openly to the growing group of demonstrators, a man sporting a cap and a windbreaker chose to hold a one-man counter protest, displaying a large pink sign that blared: “I deserve hot blonde girls! But I’ll settle for anyone at this point.” Tempers did not flare, but protesters grew tired of his presence and eventually directed their chants in his direction. “All women are entitled to say no, fuck you!” they chanted several times.He later scurried away, and the protest went on. Rafaella Gunz, 20, of the Bronx (middle), speaks about obnoxious catcalls that women frequently hear walking through the streets. (Rashed Mian/Long Island Press)Rafaella Gunz, 20, of the Bronx, stood in front of the crowd and spoke about the constant catcalls that she and her friends hear. “No woman likes being catcalled,” she said. “No woman has ever responded positively to ‘A-Yo sexy what’s up?’ No one.”Gunz, who said she was “struck” by the killings in California and saddened by the recent rape and hanging of two teen girls in India, added: “I shouldn’t be made to feel uncomfortable while walking down the streets of my own city.” Not all the demonstrators were women. Christian Malloy, 20, of Staten Island, acknowledged that he was once part of the problem but now is “choosing to be part of the solution.” He said he was unaware of the protest, but saw the demonstrators and decided to join in. “Sexism still exists…I want to be part of the change,” he said. “And I’m doing that every single day in my life. I’m seeing acts of sexism, I’m seeing acts of sexual harassment go on and I’m trying to make micro changes. Micro changes are where it starts. That’s how you build up to things like this.”last_img read more

18 Oct

Man Utd summer signing Daniel James needs to be dropped after Chelsea win, says Paul Merson

first_img Metro Sport ReporterTuesday 18 Feb 2020 6:02 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link3.9kShares Wales international Daniel James in action for the Red Devils (Picture: Getty)‘It was a big win for Manchester United and Chelsea, but they weren’t good,’ Merson said. ‘They’re two just-above average teams, if I’m being honest.AdvertisementAdvertisement‘United winning just covers over the cracks, while Chelsea losing means you start seeing the cracks.‘If Chelsea put their chances away in the first half, the game’s over, but they didn’t. Harry Maguire should’ve been sent off and he then scores, so there were a lot of things where you could say with Chelsea they could’ve won the game.More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man City‘Watching last night, Sheffield United are massive players in the Champions League race. With Manchester United, you’re talking about one of the biggest clubs in the world not having a centre forward.‘They’re playing with Daniel James up front, who sooner or later has to be taken out of the team. You feel sorry for the lad, now. He looks a bit lost if I’m honest – he needs a break.’The former Gunners and England ace added in a column for Sky Sports: ‘James is playing all the time but his game is based on sheer pace. It won’t bring you much alone in the Premier League, and I feel for him. Paul Merson believes Man Utd summer signing Daniel James needs to be dropped (Picture: Sky Sports)Manchester United summer signing Daniel James needs to be taken out of the team and looked ‘lost’ in the victory over Chelsea, according to Arsenal legend Paul Merson.Welsh winger James has largely impressed for the Red Devils following his £15million move from Swansea City last summer, scoring five goals and making six assists in 34 appearances in all competitions.But Merson believes James would benefit from a spell out of United’s starting XI and says it is only a matter of time before he is dropped.Manchester United beat top-four rivals Chelsea 2-0 on Monday evening, with goals from Anthony Martial and Harry Maguire sealing the win in west London.ADVERTISEMENT Comment Solskjaer bemoans fixture schedule after Chelsea victoryTo view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video Play VideoLoaded: 0%0:00Progress: 0%PlayMuteCurrent Time 0:00/Duration Time 5:40FullscreenSolskjaer bemoans fixture schedule after Chelsea victoryhttps://metro.co.uk/video/solskjaer-bemoans-fixture-schedule-chelsea-victory-2112718/This is a modal window.Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparentWindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaqueFont Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400%Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadowFont FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall CapsReset restore all settings to the default valuesDoneClose Modal DialogEnd of dialog window.‘He needs to be brought out of the team but they’ve haven’t got anyone to bring in for him.‘Anthony Martial scored his header, but barring that he wasn’t anywhere near it. Give him credit for the goal, but he offered nothing else.’Manchester United face Club Bruges in the Europa League on Thursday night before returning to domestic action on Sunday against Watford.MORE: Mino Raiola lashes out at Gary Neville amid Man Utd rowMORE: Paul Scholes slams Anthony Martial despite Chelsea goalMore: FootballBruno Fernandes responds to Man Utd bust-up rumours with Ole Gunnar SolskjaerNew Manchester United signing Facundo Pellistri responds to Edinson Cavani praiseArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira movescenter_img Advertisement Man Utd summer signing Daniel James needs to be dropped after Chelsea win, says Paul Merson Advertisementlast_img read more